Monday, September 17, 2012

California Avenue Downtown

After a week of assembling furniture and looking up more stuff to buy for the home, Friday was the time to relax and unwind. V suggested we check out the California Avenue downtown. Just like the Sunnyvale and Mountainview downtowns, Cal Ave is also near the Caltrain station-which is a blessing for us since we depend so heavily on the train.

Since Cal Ave is not a city in itself, the downtown is also much smaller. It has one lane of eateries and that is about it. Since I was in a mood to try some new cuisine, I spent my time reading through the menus of some of the fancy places. There were the usual Mediterranean, Italian, Indian, American restaurants. I walked passed each, getting a feel of the ambience, crowd, menu and of course the aroma. One particular place that had an inviting fragrance, buzzing crowd, lively music was  
La Bodeguita Del Medio. But as predicted by V, they were booked and the wait time was at least an an hour. Since we weren't in a mood to wait, we picked the next best place-Spalti. 

A classy looking Italian place with candle-lit tables. As we stood checking out the menu, the maĆ®tre d' offered us free starters-bruschetta. I was amused by the cute way he said 'bruschetta' with a strong Italian accent and I gave in immediately. 

The food to my disappointment wasn't up to the mark and so I'm not putting up any pictures. It was too cheesy and lacked any strong flavor. The chocolate mousse though was amazing and made me forget the average food.

Next time I visit this downtown, I'm sure to make a reservation at the La Bodeguita, although they have exactly one vegetarian fare on their menu!

No comments :

Post a Comment