Monday, September 24, 2012

What a weekend!

After all the running around that we have been doing for the last few days, this weekend we had planned to just laze around doing nothing. But it was not to be!

On Saturday, we were invited for lunch by our neigbours. They had some pooja at home and 3 other families were invited too. I had a good time eating all the sumptuous food and socializing with everybody. And we got invited for a birthday party the next day.

That meant we had to rush in the evening hunting for a gift. We took the next bus and went to Target, picked up a fancy toy that teaches ABC-pretty useful gift for the 2 year old birthday boy. Since we had come to Target, we decided to strike off a few more things from our shopping list. And we ended up spending our evening shopping. We had dinner in Sunnyvale downtown.

As we were waiting for our train back home, an old lady walked past us. She kept starting at us and then sat on the bench ahead of us. I caught her staring at us and also noticed that she wasn't wearing any shoes. I thought she was going to come and beg for money but strangely she didn't. She then started smoking. Meanwhile, V was on the phone. Suddenly, the lady shouted "Go away!" I thought she was referring to the man who just walked past us. She turned and screamed again "You're pissing me off" We decided not to pay any attention. A few minutes later she yelled " Stop, you're irritating me" That is when it dawned on us that she was talking to V. She did not want him to talk on the phone as it was troubling her for some reason. The funny thing was that V wasn't even speak-all he was doing was saying an occasional 'hmm' in response to the phone conversation. She kept telling him he was loud and that he should go away. V told her "You might want to do the same if it's disturbing you" She replied " You don't have to tell me what I should do" V said "Same goes for me too" Unable to say anything further she just screamed " I know your type"

While all this was happening, my heart was racing. Now, I've heard of many stories where crazy people pulling out guns randomly. I was just praying that the matter ended quickly. But V continued talking. After sometime, a young guy came and sat next to the crazy lady. And she immediately yelled at him "Go away". The poor chap was so scared that he said OK and walked away.

Our train came and we started walking towards the door. She did not board the train. Instead, she started speaking in what seemed like a mix of Italian and Spanish. For all I know she must have been talking gibberish. But I was more than happy to get away from the paranoid lady. It was a very scary experience, at least for me. Although we had a good laugh about it later.

On Sunday noon, we took a ride with our neighbours and arrived at Las Palmas park-the party venue. The place was decorated with balloons and animal pictures. I tried my best to socialize with some of the guests-all were strangers to me. After a while, I got tired and gave up. Food seemed like a better option.  After the cake cutting, we pounced on the food-all my favorite items on the menu-parotta, kurma, biryani, manchurian. Yummy!

On the whole, this weekend was anything but relaxing. The upside was that we had amazing food as a consolation.

No comments :

Post a Comment